Ever had a lower back pain that sooner or later also travels down one or both of legs, causing severe discomfort???
“Sciatica pain”, which usually occurs either on one or both legs when your sciatic nerve is stretched or pinched. One of the major nerves supplying the lower limbs is the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is a condition that arises when this sciatic nerve is pressed or gets inflamed and it is characterized by pain, or altered sensation or numbness in the areas supplied by the sciatic nerve. It is one of the most common conditions seen in people suffering from “Low Back Pain”.
Sciatica Known as “Gridhrasi” in Ayurveda, sciatica is caused due to impaired digestion. A faulty digestive system causes the buildup of toxins (ama) that accumulate in the minute channels of the body.
Sciatia is mainly caused due to Vata dosha imbalance, which could be due to intake of vatavyadhi dosha and vata rich food. The painful sensation in the lower limbs is due to the vitiation of vatadosha. Imbalance of Kapha is also the secondary reason for Sciatic pain.
Ayurveda prescribes natural herbs to nourish the nervous system and alleviate imbalanced body energies. Medicated oils may also be applied to soothe the sciatic nerve. Panchakarma, massage therapies can be effective in subsiding the pains of sciatica.
Some combination of the following symptoms is most common;
- Numbness in the leg along the nerve.
- Tingling sensation (pins and needles) in the feet and toes.
- Cramping sensation in the thigh.
- Burning sensation in legs or thigh area.
- Lower back pain sensation
The following lower back problems are the most common causes of sciatica:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis– Narrowing of the spinal cord in the lower back.
- Spondylolisthesis– A condition where a disk slips forward over the vertebra below it.
- Tumors within the spine– These may compress the root of the sciatic nerve.
- Infection– Infections affecting the spine.
- Other causes– Injury within the spine.
- Cauda equina syndrome– A rare but serious condition that affects the nerves in the lower part of the spinal cord; it requires immediate medical attention.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: This condition is characterized by chronic inflammation in and around the spine.
- Spinal Tumor: In rare cases, a spinal tumor can effect on a nerve root in the lower back and cause sciatica symptoms.
- Pregnancy: The changes the body goes through during pregnancy, including weight gain, a shift of one’s center of gravity, and hormonal changes, can cause sciatica during pregnancy.
- Intake of Vata aggravating eatables like Adhaki (pigeon pea), Chanaka (Bengal gram), masura(flat beans), Uddalaka, etc.
- Excess intake of outside food.
- Heavy weight lifting, long walk, sitting position is causes of sciatica pain.
- Suppressions of urine, feces, etc.
- Improper practice of enema, purgation etc.
- Fall of injury etc.
- Age– People in their 30s and 40s have a higher risk of developing sciatica.
- Profession– Jobs that require lifting heavy loads for long periods.
- Sedentary lifestyle– People who sit for long periods and are physically inactive are more likely to develop sciatica, compared with active people.
- Green leafy vegetables should be taken in the diet because they provide fiber which improves digestion and elimination of wastes.
- Fruits such as bananas and apples should be taken.
- Heavy meals must be avoided as they take a long time to digest.
- While sleeping, lie straight on your back or with bent knees supported by a pillow.
- Do some light sciatica exercise such as light walking and jogging. Do not exercise if your condition is extremely painful.
- A large proportion of the diet must be carbohydrates, which facilitate proper movement of bowels, thereby bettering the body’s digestion.
- Guggulu: Guggulu Known as one of the oldest remedies, guggulu herb oil is best treatment for lower back pain. It nourishes the muscles and tissues of the back naturally. It provides strength and support to the bones and muscles.
Dosage: Apply guggulu herb oil externally, sciatica nerve pain become relaxed.
- Ashwagandha: Mix Ashwagandha in sesame oil, and rub onto painful arthritic joints, sciatica pain and frozen shoulders. It is effective in easing nerve pain such as sciatica, numbness, muscle spasm and back pain.
Dosage: Apply the oil onto the affected area.
- Apply a paste made of Crushed Garlic Cloves and water to the affected part, or rub a cut clove directly onto the area.
Dosage: Apply the paste directly onto affected area.
- Long Pepper (Piper longum): Seeds of this herb must be boiled in water and the liquid should be strained. This mixed with powdered camphor and ground ginger should be applied over the affected areas to help relieve the pain.
Dosage: Rub the paste onto the pain for relief.
- (Sonth) Dried Ginger: It has anti-inflammatory agent which is used in pain and inflammations. It relieves from cervical spondylitis.
Dosage: Daily use of dried ginger to get relief from all kind of pains.
- Turmeric: This herb contains curcumin which helps to ease the inflammation and pain associated with nerve conditions such as sciatica.
Dosage: Mix haldi powder with hot milk and drink daily to get relief from pain.
- Halwa gheekwar: Halwa Gheekwar used for treating lumbago and pain. Lumbago is recurring pain in lower lumbar region. Halwa-e-Gheekwar is especially useful during winter season as it has anti-asthmatic, anti-bronchial and gives relief in cough.
Dosage: Take 12-25grams in morning or at bed time with milk.
- Aparajita ke Phool(Harsingar): Harsingar flowers are white and orange in colour. Harsingar should be consumed due to its anti-arthritic properties to reduce inflammation and pain.
Dosage: Extract the powder from dried harsingar and boil in water and take it immediately.
- Habbe Asgand: Habbe Asgand useful in gout and lumbago. Also helpful in joint pains, backache, sciatica and rheumatism.
Dosage: 1 – 2 Tablets twice a day with water.
- Mahayograj guggulu: It is widely used in the Ayurvedic treatment of joint diseases, joint pain, Gout and arthritis, Sciatica Pain.
Dosage: 1 to 2 tablets with water or as prescribed by physician.
It is time to get rid of Sciatica pain with ayurvedic ways. Treat this early the natural way; else it could lead to embarrassment and uncomfortable situation and you feel very helplessness. Hope you don’t have to face that ever.
Do try these effective remedies and share your experience with us in the comment box.