We all have often heard mothers complaining about that their kids being fuzzy eaters and sometimes lacking the desire to eat (Lack of Appetite) completely. This is not only a common problem in kids, but also in adults, especially elderly people.
Lack of appetite, i.e. not feeling like eating, is a sign of some underlying problem. It could be because of the multiple reasons, such as high stress, migraine, depression, unhealthy eating habits, sinuses, gastroenteritis, and an inactive lifestyle. In fact, during pregnancy, many women too suffer from a loss of appetite. The person suffering from the loss of appetite could also experience symptoms like weight loss, nausea and loss of taste.
To Boost or Increase Appetite Healthybazar recommends natural home remedies, ayurvedic medicines, & change diet/lifestyle habits.
In Ayurveda, anorexia is known as aruchi, meaning ‘absence of taste.’ As per Ayurveda, the physical causes of anorexia are an aggravation of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha in the stomach. Kapha is a mucus-like substance, which is cold, dense, heavy, sticky, wet and clear in nature. According to Ayurveda, a type of Kapha, known as bodhak Kapha, leads to loss of appetite.
Ayurveda treats lead to loss of appetite from its root instead of treating the symptoms. Ayurvedic treatments treat & pacify the bodhak Kapha and relax the mind. This confirms that neither physical nor psychological factors affect appetite.
- Not feeling hungry, lack of desire to eat
- Feeling repulsed by certain foods
- Struggling to eat
- Fatigue and weakness
- Less enthusiasm
- Weight loss
- Sleep disorder
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal cramps
- Increase in heart rate
- Food not eaten for more than 48 hours
- Emotional stress and headache
- Recurrent Depression
- Infections (like fever, sore throat)
- A migraine and high-BP
- Stomach bugs
- Kidney or liver disorder
- Eating Disorder
- Chronic Gastritis
- Reactions to certain medications
- Congestion in nose and sinuses
Step 1: Healthy Lifestyle & Diet
- Take small but frequent meals.
- Do regular exercise.
- Eat your favorite
- Brush your teeth daily & clean your tongue as it will remove the mucus.
- Have a fresh and warm meal.
- Drink 8 glass of water daily.
- Practice yoga, pranayama, and meditation to get rid of unnecessary worries.
- Avoid toxic odors.
- Don’t drink or eat a snack before having a meal as it affects your appetite.
- Bhramari pranayama
- Surya Namaskar
- Ginger: Ginger is a source for stimulating appetite and helps in indigestion. Chop dried ginger into tiny pieces. Boil them in 2 cups of water, add some milk and sugar.
Dosage: Drink it several times a day.
Prepare a mixture, take ¼ tbsp of ginger juice, ¼ tbsp of lime juice and a pinch of rock salt. Mix well.
Dosage: Drink the mixture twice a day before meals.
Put 5 tbsp of small chopped fresh ginger in a glass jar, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, add a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of cumin seed powder. Put the jar in the sun for 2 days in summer, or 3 days in winter.
Dosage: Take ½ tbsp of mixture twice a day before a meal.
- Take 10g dried ginger root powder, 3g black pepper powder, 2g long pepper powder, 5g celery seeds powder, 10g cumin seeds powder and 10g rock salt. Store it in an airtight vessel.
Dosage: Take 1 teaspoon with the first bite of food during meals twice a day daily.
Soak some ginger pieces in the lemon juice for a few minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt.
Usage: Chew the ginger before lunch and dinner.
- Cardamom: Cardamom relieves acidity, indigestion, & regulates hunger. Simply add crushed cardamom to your regular tea.
Dosage: Drink the tea twice a day.
- Garlic: Take 3-4 garlic cloves of garlic and boil them in a cup of water for a few minutes. Filter the solution and add half lemon juice to it.
Dosage: Drink it 2 times a day.
- Lemon: Lemon is a natural appetite booster.
Dosage: Drink a glassful of lemonade each morning. Add a little honey for taste.
- Green Tea: Green tea is full of antioxidants & a very popular herbal remedy that regulates hunger. Dosage: Drink a cup of green tea before half an hour before meals.
- Amla: Amla is highly recommended in Ayurveda for its rejuvenating properties. It brings our digestive system back on track and helps in cleansing the liver. Vitamin C present in it boosts the immune system
Usage: Taking 2 tbsp of Amla juice on an empty stomach every day will boost your appetite.
- Chitrakadi Vati: Chitrakadi Vati increases digestion, and also increases appetite by helping the liver to function better.
Dosage: 2 caps. twice a day with warm water.
- Habbe Papita: It acts as digestive, carminative and laxative. It helps to remove the pain in the stomach and intestine.
Dosage: 2 pills twice a day orally after a meal.
- Jigreena: Protects the liver from chemicals and toxins. Promotes appetite and digestion.
Dosage: 2 caps. twice a day with water.
- Hemol Syrup: Ayurvedic medicines for iron deficiency, Loss of appetite & Low resistance power, a good health tonic & growth supplement, Anaemia, Diminution of memory, etc.
Dosage: 2 tbsp thrice a day with water.
- Mandoor bhasm: It is an ayurvedic medicine which helps in loss of appetite, laziness, anorexia & it also helps treat vertigo, etc.
Dosage: 250- 750 gm twice a day with honey.
- Haritaki: Haritaki has numerous health benefits and it helps in alleviating a variety of ailments. It helps in curing gastrointestinal ailments, gives a boost to your appetite and helps in alleviating the problem of indigestion.
Dosage: Take 1 tsp of Haritaki powder with water.
- Vibhtaki: It helps to boost to appetite and helps in alleviating the problem of indigestion, digestive problem, skin problem, etc.
Dosage: ½- 1 tbsp twice a day with water.
- Punarnava: Punarnava is one of the best-known diuretic herbs in Ayurveda. It helps to increase appetite nourishing the heart, promoting the eyes, reducing hemorrhoids, etc.
Dosage: Take 1 tsp twice a day with water.
Do try these remedies and share with us your experience. Also, if you have any remedy that has proven beneficial to you, share with others here, write in comment box. Selected remedies are also awarded Gift Vouchers to shop @ Healthybazar.