Diarrhea (commonly known as loose motions) is one of the most common problems faced by each one of us. Surprisingly and average adult faces this condition at least 3-4 times a year, while a kid faces this at least 4-5 times per year!!!
In today’s rapidly changing world, our lifestyles are changing including diet and eating habits. These changes have a huge impact on our health too. We have started eating unhealthy and junk food from outside, which at times is contaminated by bacteria, viruses or parasites, leading to Diarrhea.
Diarrhea is characterized by loose, watery stools/ faeces or a frequent (more than three times a day) need to have a bowel movement.
- Acute Diarrhea lasts from a few days up to a week.
- Chronic Diarrhea can be defined in several ways, but usually lasts more than three weeks.
Diarrhea is known as Atisar in Ayurveda There are about six forms of Diarrhoea in Ayurveda, defined a (Tridoshaja) Vataja, Pittaj, Kaphaja, Bhayaja (generally caused by fear), Shokaja (mainly caused by distress), and Raktatisara (related with bleeding).
- Vataj: It can be characterized by symptoms such as abdominal cramping and gas in the abdomens, and it holds more water and less faecal matter.
- Pittaj: It can be characterized by symptoms such as offensive odour with yellowish stools.
- Kaphaj: It can be characterized by symptoms such as mucous and stools whitish in colour.
- Tridoshaj: It can be characterized by all the features simultaneously such as manifested with all symptoms of all doshas.
- Raktaj: It can be characterized by symptoms such as the blood stool with the mixed faecal matter.
Shokaj and Bhayaja: This type of Diarrhoea is caused by fear and anxiety and are psychological & exogenic. When the mind is disturbed or fear is caused there is an upsurge of pitta, that ultimately causes Vayu (gas), in turn making the faecal matter turn like liquid.
Signs and symptoms associated with Diarrhoea may include:
- Loose, watery stools
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in the stool
- An urgent need to have a bowel movement
- Sufficient intake of water and liquid foods is always advised in diarrhea. Water is advised to be boiled before drinking.
- Light, easy to digest food articles such as liquid rice, porridge is recommended. Soups made from lentils are also good for diarrhea. Fruits like sweet lime, oranges, apple, and melons are allowed.
- Heavy, spicy, fried food is prohibited. Non-veg items, eggs are also not allowed. Sugarcane juice is also forbidden. Avoid eating street foods.
- Avoid using public toilets as much as possible.
- Keep towels, soaps, etc. for each family member separate. Wash your hands with a disinfectant soap or hand wash after each visit to the toilet.
- While goat milk is more recommended, cow’s milk may also be allowed. Buffalo milk is however forbidden. Mother’s milk is however always allowed.
- Consume high-potassium foods and liquids, such as diluted fruit juices, potatoes without the skin, and bananas. Consume high-sodium foods and liquids, such as broths, soups, sports drinks, and salted crackers.
- While outside, opt for tea or coffee rather than juices. This is because for tea and coffee the water has to be boiled, and hence it becomes purified
- Bharadvaja’s Twist(भारद्वाजासन)
- (Paripurna Navasana) (परिपूर्ण नवासना)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana) (बालासन)
- Head to knee forward Bend (Janu Sriasanas) (जानुशीर्षासन)
- Half-moon Pose (Ardha Chandarasan) (अर्ध चंद्रासना)
- Plow poses (Halasana) (हलासन)
- Terminalia arjuna (Arjuna): The bark of the Arjuna tree is helpful in the healing of Diarrhea.
The bark is taken in decoction form.
Decoction: Take 1 tbsp of Arjun bark powder & add 2 cups of water, boiled & reduced to a half cup, filtered & consumed when hot.
Dosages: Take 15 to 30 ml of decoction twice a day before food.
- Isabgol (psyllium husk): Take 1 tbsp of Isabgol (psyllium husk) with 1 cup of yogurt.
- Mixed Spices: Mix 1 tbsp each of cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder with honey to make a paste.
Dosage: Take 1 teaspoon three times a day.
- Javitri: Take 2 gms Javitri with buttermilk to control loose motions.
- Coconut Water: Loose motions can often lead to dehydration. In such cases, coconut water is an excellent home remedy. It is rich in minerals, or electrolytes that replenish the body fluids. It also boosts the blood circulation and helps you recuperate from Diarrhea quickly. Take fresh coconut water.
Dosage: Drink a glass of coconut water twice a day to treat dehydration caused by Loose motions.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil contains oleic acid, which has been proved to slow down the digestion process and reduce Diarrhea. It activates certain mechanisms in the small intestine that will stop the symptoms of Diarrhea
Dosage: Take extra virgin olive oil. Have a tablespoon of olive oil on an empty stomach in the morning. Repeat this for few days.
- Agni Kumar Ras: Cures indigestion, Sula pains, fever, vomiting, diarrhea caused by indigestion.
Dosage: 1g = 4 doses. One dose twice a day with warm water.
- Arjun Capsules: It is ayurvedic medicines to cure diarrhea.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice a day with water after meals.
Oral Rehydration solution can also be prepared at home by simple methods:
- Take 1-liter water adds 6 tbsp sugar, ½ tbsp. salt. Stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Dosage: Drink sips of this fluid after every 5 mins until the body is hydrated.
Do try these remedies and share with us your experience. Also, if you have any remedy that has proven beneficial to you, share with others here, write in comment box. Selected remedies are also awarded Gift Vouchers to shop @ Healthybazar.
Stay Happy and Stay Healthy!!!