As per WHO reports, “Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide. It accounted for 8.2 million deaths worldwide”. Around 22% of all deaths not related to communicable diseases.
Cancer, the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells anywhere in a body, can infiltrate normal body tissues. Many cancers and the abnormal cells that compose the cancer tissue are identified by the name of the tissue that the abnormal cells originated from (for example, breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer).
The three most common cancers in men, women, and children
- Men: Prostate, lung, and colorectal
- Women: Breast, lung, and colorectal
- Children: Leukemia, brain tumors, and lymphoma
With AIIMS researching on treating cancer with Ayurveda, there is a sense of hope among many people who believe and turn to Alternative treatment for many other problems.
While many Vaidh/Hakeem (Ayurvedic/Unani practitioners) believe that Herbs have the power to treat/prevent Cancer, medical experts have not been able to prove it due to lack of scientific evidence. However, various big health institutions are leveraging Ayurveda in their treatments along with Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy to reduce the side effects. A pilot study was done by AIIMS also found that Ayurvedic drugs significantly reduced side effects in breast cancer patients.
- Breast Cancer: cancer that forms in the cells of the breasts.
- Prostate Cancer: cancer in a man’s prostate, a small walnut-sized gland that produces seminal fluid.
- Basal cell Cancer: A type of skin cancer that begins in the basal cells.
- Melanoma: The most serious type of skin cancer.
- Colon Cancer: A cancer of the colon or rectum, located at the digestive tract’s lower end.
- Lung Cancer: cancer that begins in the lungs and most often occurs in people who smoke.
- Leukemia Cancer: A cancer of blood-forming tissues, hindering the body’s ability to fight infection.
- Lymphoma Cancer: A cancer of the lymphatic system.
Ayurvedic Viewpoint for Cancer: The holistic methods of Ayurveda for cancer treatment include:
- Abstinence from food and lifestyle that cause tridosha (vata, pitta, kapha) imbalance.
- Eliminating toxins through Panchakarma.
- Restoration of healthy jatharagni (digestive power) functions.
- Rejuvenation through rasayanas.
- Ayurvedic preparations can act as an adjuvant or a co-therapy along with chemotherapy or radiotherapy. – It is also helpful in post-surgery care.
- Ayurvedic medicines help to minimize the side effects of these therapies.
- Damages or mutation in the DNA resulting in the damage to the genes involved in cell division.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Carcinogens such as tobacco, asbestos, arsenic, radiation, ultraviolet rays and car exhaust fumes.
- Cigarette smoking, cigar smoking, passive smoking and tobacco chewing.
- Alcohol use and obesity.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Sunlight and excessive exposure to ultraviolet light.
- Exposure to radiation from X-rays, gamma rays, cellular phones and cell phone towers.
Symptoms of Cancer: Cancer can cause many different symptoms. These are some of them:
- Weight loss
- Stomach Pain
- Problems with eating, such as:
- Discomfort after eating
- A hard time swallowing
- Changes in appetite
- Blood in Cough
- Chest Pain
- Breast changes, such as:
- Change in size or shape of the breast or nipple
- Change in the texture of breast skin
Ayurveda recommends several diets, lifestyle changes, yogasanas, and herbs for preventing cancer and there is a growing body of scientific studies that back this ancient knowledge. Here are some common tips which are proven to help treat/prevent/recover from Cancer:
Precaution: *Always check with your doctor before using any of these remedies/herbal medicines, as some Ayurvedic treatments might interfere with conventional treatments such as cancer drugs and chemotherapy.
Step1: Simple Healthy Diet and Lifestyle
- Eat a diet that is rich in natural cancer-fighting chemicals (Such as Berries, cauliflower, cabbage, Garlic, Tomatoes, etc) and helpful in boosting immunity. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Reduce high-fat diet
- Avoid intake of tobacco, alcohol & quit smoking.
- Avoid high-fat foods, especially from animal sources.
- Go for Panchakarma therapy.
Step2: Yogasanas for Cancer
- Half Sun Salutation (सूर्य नमस्कार)
- Reclining Butterfly Pose (तितली आसन)
- Viparita Karani (Legs up The Wall) (विपरीत करनी)
- Marjariasana (Cat pose) मार्जरासन
- Savasana (Corpse Pose) (शवासन)
- Ujjayi pranayama (उज्जायी प्राणायाम)
- Kapalbhati pranayama (कपालभाति प्राणायाम)
- Anulom- Vilom Pranayama (अनुलोम विलोम प्राणायाम)
- Ashwagandha: The powder of roots of ashwagandha are used as a medicine. If its paste is applied on the surface, the tumor stops growing, it protects bones from the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Usage: Directly apply Ashwagandha paste on affected area once in a day for several days.
- Haritaki: Haritaki subdues vata because of sweet and sour tastes. It reduces the free radicals and it’s a great antioxidant. It is also useful in reducing the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Dosage: Make powder and consume 3 to 6 gms of powder per day with water.
- Triphala: It acts as a tonic and postpones aging and slows the growth of cancer.
Dosage: 1-2 tbsp twice a day in the morning with milk.
- Guduchi: It is a parasite which grows on trees of mango or kadu nimbi (Neem/Azadirachta indica). It prevents neutropenia which is a side effect of cancer therapy with cyclophosphamide. It reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Dosage: One capsule, twice a day with water.
- Garlic: Its cloves are used as medicine. It is useful in cancer of the esophagus, stomach, and
Dosage: Make the powder and take 3-6 gms per day with ghee.
- Chandraprabha Vati: It has a calming effect on the entire It is one of the most potent adaptogen & stress busters that causes relaxation of tenses. It also cures cancer.
Dosage: 2 capsules to be taken 3 times a day with water after meals.
- Kanchnaar guggul: It helps to maintain cells & keeps tissues healthy.
Dosage: 2 capsules to be taken 1-2 times a day with water after meals.
- Ashwagandha capsules: It possesses natural rejuvenating properties to the body & helps in cancer.
Dosage: 2 capsules to be taken 1-2 times a day with water.
- Bhoomi Amla Juice: It is the best tonic i.e. Rasayana and subdues all the three doshas. It acts as an antioxidant and controls free radicals. It is useful to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. The entire plant is used as medicine. It is useful in cancer of skin and liver.
Dosage: Bhoomi amla juice is taken in dosage of 10 to 20 ml per day.
Make minor changes to your lifestyle, follow above-mentioned home remedies, and take herbal supplements to Fight from CANCER!!!!