Summer Vacations are over, and you all must have enjoyed warm weather, going out for swimming, picnics with friends and family, roaming in hill stations, and other outdoor activities!!!
However, the after-effects of it might not be over yet!!! Yes, we are talking about the effect of the sun on our skin. The burns we get during our vacations will stay for some time 😊.
In fact, as the sun rays are at its highest point during summer, there is no escaping its ultraviolet rays. Too much exposure to UV light can damage your skin, making it red and painful.
However, there’s nothing to worry. It’s easy to get rid of Sunburns quickly within 2-3 days, using natural methods. Some proven effective remedies are shared in this post.
According to Ayurveda, Pitta Dosha regulates heat in the body and there are 5 subdoshas, one of which is Bhrajaka Pitta. This subdosha governs the quality of our skin and when this is imbalanced we observe acne, skin rashes, and pigmentation of our skin.
Sun rays are good for health but exposure to excessive sunlight, especially when the sun is overhead, can cause hyperpigmentation, sunburn and even lead to some forms of skin cancer. When Bhrajaka Pitta is aggravated it triggers the formation of melanin which leads to skin tanning. Consuming cool, sweet and watery foods is helpful in calming aggravated pitta dosha.
- Allergic Reactions
- Dark spots & scars
- Autoimmune disorder
- Brownish Spots
- UV rays
- High fever & Headache
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Low blood pressure
- Painful skin (on touch)
- Hive- like bumps
- Tingling of the skin
- Blistering Skin
- Having a light-colored skin, blue eyes, and red or blond hair.
- Regularly exposing unprotected skin to UV light from sunlight or artificial sources, such as tanning beds
- Living or vacationing somewhere sunny, warm or at high altitude
- Working outdoors or mixing outdoor recreation and drinking alcohol
- Taking a drug that makes you more likely to burn (photosensitizing medications)
- Sit in locations with shade.
- Protect the eyes with sunglasses. Always wear sunblock and re-apply regularly.
- Avoid going out in the hottest part of the day
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid consumption of spicy or fermented food during the summers.
- Avoid taking carbonated drinks, caffeine, oily or spicy foods
- Consume vitamin enriched foods & Consume Vitamin D rich foods like fermented COD liver oil help supplement vitamin D balance in your body and build a stronger immune system against sunburns
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your feet, lips, and ears too.
- Wear sunglasses, sun-protective clothing (look for the designation UPF 50) and a broad-brimmed hat & moisturize your skin
- Bhujangasana (भुजंगासन)
- Janu Sirsasana(जानुशीर्षासन)
- Viparita Karani(विपरीत करनी)
- Sheetkari Pranayam(शीतकारी प्राणायाम)
- Sheetali pranayama (शीतली प्राणायाम)
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe Vera gel is the most effective ayurvedic home remedy for sunburn. Take gel of fresh Aloe Vera to leave and apply it on the affected area.
Usage: Apply 5-6 times daily for several days.
- Sandal Wood: Apply sandalwood paste on the sunburned area. It will give a soothing feel and prevent further complications.
Usage: Apply 3-4 times daily.
- Make a paste of yogurt, turmeric, and barley and apply to the affected area.
Usage: Apply 2-3 times daily for several days.
- Mix equal quantity of white vinegar and water. Dip a clean towel in the solution and twist it. Apply it on sunburned area. Don’t apply on broken skin or near eyes.
Usage: Apply the solution 3-4 times a day.
- Tomato juice: To get rid of sun tan apply a mixture of 1 tbsp honey and 1 tomato juice. Tomato helps to lighten skin color and removes tan.
Usage: Apply the neem paste 3-4 times a day.
- Neem Paste: Make a fine paste of neem stems and directly apply to the sunburned area. Unused portion can be refrigerated for further use.
Usage: Apply the neem paste 3-4 times a day.
- Cool Compress: To reduce inflammation and pain associated with sunburn, you can apply cold compresses on the affected area. Cold compresses cause the tiny blood vessels to constrict, which in turn will reduce inflammation. Never apply ice directly on the skin as it can damage your skin.
Procedure: Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a cloth & hold the compress over the affected area as long as it is cool.
Usage: Apply several times a day as needed to relieve discomfort.
- Chandrakala Ras: Chandrakala Ras is used in the Ayurvedic treatment of burning sensation of palms and soles (sunburn), bleeding disorders, diabetes, and leucorrhoea (white discharge).
Dosage: 1 to 2 tablets after meal twice a day with cow milk.
- Gandhak Rasyan: Gandhak Rasayan helps to eliminate sunburn, itching and scabies rashes. It helps reduce acne and pimples & helps by purifying the blood, eliminating blockage, stopping secondary infections.
Dosage: 2 to 3 tabs twice a day with water.
- Kamdudha Ras: It helps in the treatment of Skin disorders, burning sensation in skin, gastritis, etc.
Dosage: 250 mg to 500 mg twice a day with honey.
Do try these remedies and share with us your experience. Also, if you have any remedy that has proven beneficial to you, share with others here, write in comment box. Selected remedies are also awarded Gift Vouchers to shop @ Healthybazar.